The Center for the Study of Ethics in the Professions (CSEP) was established in 1976 to promote research and teaching on practical moral problems in the professions, and throughout this long history Center faculty have continued to publish important works in the areas of professional and applied ethics.
Recent Publications by CSEP Fellows
- Davis, Michael. (2015) "Codes of Ethics" Ethics, Science, Technology, and Engineering: A Global Resource. Brit Holbrook and Carl Mitcham. Farrington, MI: Macmillan Reference USA, 2015.
- Davis, Michael. (2015) "Profession and Professionalism" Ethics, Science, Technology, and Engineering: A Global Resource. Brit Holbrook and Carl Mitcham. Farrington, MI: Macmillan Reference USA.
- Hildt, Elisabeth (2015). What will this do to my brain? Ethical Issues in brain-to-brain interfacing. Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience. 9(17) 1-4.
- Hildt, Elisabeth, Klaus Lieb, Christiana Bagusat, and Andreas D. Franke (2015) Reflections on Addiction in Students Using Stimulants for Neuroenchancement: A Preliminary Interview Study BioMed Research International. Article ID 621075.
- Davis, Michael. (2014). Professional Ethics Without Moral Theory: A Practical Guide for the Perplexed Non-Philosopher. Journal of Applied Ethics and Philosophy. Vol. 6, 1-9.
- Davis, Michael (2014). "Why Physicians Should Not Be Involved in Hostile Interrogations." Cambridge Quarterly of Healthcare Ethics. 23(4): 452-460. DOI: 10.1017/S0963180114000127
- Davis, Michael. (2014). "What to consider when preparing a model core curriculum for GIS ethics: objectives, methods, and a sketch of content."Journal of Geography in Higher Education 38(4): 471-480. DOI: 10.1080/03098265.2014.956298
- Davis, Micahel. (2014) Locke’s Political Society: Some Problems of Terminology in “Two Treatises of Government. Journal of Moral Philosophy. 11(2): 209-231.
- Davis, Michael and Kelly Laas. (2014) "Broader Impacts" or "Responsible Research and Innovation"? A Comparison of Two Criteria for Funding Research in Science and Engineering.nbsp;Science and Engineering Ethics. 20(4): 963-983.
- Laas, Kelly and Vivian Weil (2014). Taking a Proactive Approach Towards Responsibility: Indications of Nano Policy-Making Around the World. Annals of Economics and Statistics. 1-23.
- Weil, Vivian. (2014). Embedding Philosophers in Engineering Research and Development Projects. 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Ethics in Science, Technology and Engineering. Chicago, IL: 23-24 May, 2014. DOI: 10.1109/ETHICS.2014.6893390
- Weil, Vivian. (2014) "Engineers and Business Ethics" 3rded. Edited by Gary Cooper, Encyclopedia of Management, Business Ethics. Wiley.
- Weil, Vivian.(2014). "Contracts" 2nd ed. Ethics, Science, Technology and Engineering: A Global Resource. Edited by Britt Holbrook. Gale Cengage Learning.
- Davis, Michael. "Getting Started: Helping a New Profession Develop an Ethics Program" Science and Engineering Ethics, 2013 pp. 259-264.
- Davis, Michael. (2013) “Is Public Administration a Profession?” Public Administration Research 2: 26-36.
- Davis, Michael (2013) "A Present Like Ours: A Refutation of Marquis’s Argument against Abortion and a Sketch of a General Theory of Personhood." International Journal of Applied Philosophy. 27(1): 75-90. DOI: 10.5840/ijap20132718.
- Davis, Michael. (2013)“Between Peace and War: The Moral Justification of State-Sanctioned Killing of another State’s Civilian Officials”, International Criminal Law Review 14:789 –812.
- Davis, Michael. (2013) Locke (and Hobbes) on ‘Property’ in the State of Nature. International Philosophical Quarterly. 53(3): 271-287.
- Davis, Michael. (2013) "Medicine as Profession: An Overlooked Approach to Medical Ethics" Philosophy Study, 3(1):36-51.
- Davis, Michael. (2013) Should International Law Permit State-Sanctioned Assassination of Non-state Enemies? Public Affairs Quarterly. 27(2): 111-136.
- Davis, Michael. (2013) "World Government: A Lockean Perspective." International Journal of Applied Philosophy. 27(2): 269-275.
- Davis, Michael. (2013) Gert on Law and Duty. Teaching Ethics: The Journal of the Society for Ethics Across the Curriculum. 14(1): 71-81.
- Davis, Michael, Andrew Kumiega, and Ben Van Vliet. (2013) "Ethics, Finance, and Automation: A Preliminary Survey of Problems in High Frequency Trading." Science and Engineering Ethics. 19(3): 851-874. 24.
- Davis Michael and Matthew Keefer. (2013). “Getting Started: helping a new profession develop an ethics program.” Science and Engineering Ethics 19: 259–264.
- Weil, Vivian. (2013) “Responsible Management in the Private Sector Nano Enterprises: Conversations with Lead Technologists and Managers.” NanoEthics. 7(3): 217-239.
A list of all publications produced by CSEP faculty associates, scholars and others from 1976 to the present, including presentations, Center publications, journal articles and books. Divided by topic.