Click on the following links to launch a search for cases in these subject areas
Responsible Conduct of Research Cases
Animal Research Subjects
Bias in Research
Conflict of Interest
Human Research Subjects
Research Ethics: Cases and Commentaries is an excellent collection of page-long case studies accompanied by expert commentary.
Engineering Ethics Cases
Bribery and Extortion
Codes of Ethics
We have also put together an annotated bibliography on using case studies for teaching engineering and research ethics, as well as how to write and assess cases for use in the classroom.
Criteria for Selecting Cases
The cases have been drawn from all over the web, especially from pages maintained by professional societies and academic institutions. All case studies included in this collection have been reviewed by CSEP staff, and include a short description of the case and a link to either a full text version of the case or to its location on a web site maintained by another ethics organization.
The majority of the cases have come from the following sites:
- Association for Practical and Professional Ethics - Ethics Bowl
- Online Ethics Center of the National Academy of Engineering (Engineering & Science)
- National Center for Case Study Teaching in Science
- National Institute for Engineering Ethics (Engineering)
- Teaching Ethics for Research, Scholarship, & Practice, University of Minnesota (Research Ethics in Science and the Social Sciences)
- Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education & Practice (Engineering)
- Texas A&M University “Introducing Ethics Case Studies Into Required Undergraduate Engineering Courses” (Engineering)
- Markkula Center for Applied Ethics Case Collection (Business, Journalism, Medicine)
- International Dimensions of Ethics in Science and Engineering Case studies developed by the Science, Technology and Society Initiative at the University of Massachusetts Amherst (Engineering, Science)
The cases can be searched by keyword, subject, or discipline. We also invite you to recommend or submit cases that you have developed to be included in the collection.
For information about how to lead a case study discussion, click here to conduct a search for “case study method.” This will search the Library for materials on how to use case studies in an ethics course, workshop, or ethics module.