Disclaimer: Please note the codes in our collection might not necessarily be the most recent versions. Please contact the individual organizations or their websites to verify if a more recent or updated code of ethics is available. CSEP does not hold copyright on any of the codes of ethics in our collection. Any permission to use the codes must be sought from the individual organizations directly.
Code of Conduct
ABET requires that each volunteer and staff member engaged in fulfilling the mission of ABET exhibit the highest standards of professionalism, honesty, and integrity. The services provided by ABET require impartiality, fairness, and equity. All persons involved with ABET activities must perform their duties under the highest standards of ethical behavior. It is the purpose of this code to detail the ethical standards under which we agree to operate.
A. The Code:
All ABET volunteers and staff members commit to the highest ethical and professional conduct and agree:
1. To accept responsibility in making accreditation decisions consistent with approved Criteria and the safety, health, and welfare of the public and to disclose promptly, factors that might endanger the public;
2. To perform services only in areas of their competence;
3. To act as faithful agents or trustees of ABET, avoiding real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible, disclosing them to affected parties when they do exist;
4. To keep confidential all matters relating to accreditation decisions unless required by law to disclose information, or unless the public is endangered by doing so;
5. To make or issue either public or internal statements only in an objective and truthful manner;
6. To conduct themselves honorably, responsibly, ethically, and lawfully so as to enhance the reputation and effectiveness of ABET;
7. To report concerns regarding accounting, internal accounting controls or auditing matters without fear of retaliation, subsequently known as ABET’s Whistleblower Policy;
8. To treat all persons involved in accreditation activities with fairness and justice;
9. To assist colleagues and co-workers in their professional development and to support them in following this code of conduct; and
10. To support a mechanism for the prompt and fair adjudication of alleged violations of this code.