Disclaimer: Please note the codes in our collection might not necessarily be the most recent versions. Please contact the individual organizations or their websites to verify if a more recent or updated code of ethics is available. CSEP does not hold copyright on any of the codes of ethics in our collection. Any permission to use the codes must be sought from the individual organizations directly.
Australian Federal Police Core Values
Fundamental to compliance with the professional standards of the AFP is a requirement to adhere to the core values of the organisation. The core values of the AFP are as follows:
Integrity is a core requirement of the AFP. On an individual level, integrity is displayed through soundness of moral principle, honesty and sincerity.
As an organisation, the AFP demonstrates integrity through:
- a genuine commitment to the success of individuals
- complete honesty and forthrightness in all commitments with people
- high standards of personal conduct and character at all times
- complete trustworthiness when handling property, money and information.
Commitment is characterised by dedication, application, perseverance and a belief in your ability to achieve and add value.
In the AFP, commitment is displayed when individuals:
- apply themselves to all tasks/jobs for which they have responsibility
- persist with jobs until objectives are achieved or are no longer reasonably attainable
- strive to uphold the vision and mission of the AFP
- strive to achieve individual, team and corporate milestones.
The AFP believes there is always room for improvement - and that the never-ending search for improvement leads to excellence. We aim for excellence in everything we do.
To promote excellence at the AFP we:
- empower our employees and involve them in providing a quality service
- coach and develop people rather than control and direct them
- strive to deliver the product that best serves the needs of our clients
- constantly improve work performance by seeking to remove waste and inefficiencies
- dedicate time and effort to self improvement
- encourage innovation, experimentation and risk taking
- support teamwork by: communicating with each other; participating together with problem solving; sharing work; delegating and taking responsibility for individual tasks; dealing with conflict, performance problems and discipline issues.
Accountability is about ownership of work or results, and being answerable for outcomes.
In the AFP, this means we:
- accept personal responsibility for the consequences of our efforts
- ensure people know what is expected of them, how their work will be evaluated and how success is measured or determined
- allow individuals and teams to make decisions about their work
- do not assume credit for the work of others
- give feedback on work performance.
Fairness means being impartial and equitable.
In the AFP, that means we:
- respect people as individuals and for their differences
- apply anti-discrimination, fairness and equity principles in our daily work
- do not act from malice, prejudice or personal bias when making decisions
- approach people and issues with tolerance and an open mind.
Trust means having faith and confidence, and being able to rely and depend on others.
In the AFP, that means we:
- assume people can be relied on to do the right thing
- declare conflicts of interest if they arise
- do not subject people to abuses of power
- respect each other regardless of roles and status
- foster an environment in which people do not fear punishment for making honest mistakes.